|
|
Table of Contents |
It seems that each day we learn something more about the St. Lawrence dredging operation. On a recent visit to Whitby, your Editor observed OREFAX in the McNamara yard. The ship is still in Hall Corporation colours but has lost her unloading boom and A-frame in preparation for the conversion to a hopper-bottomed sludge boat. Surprisingly, also in Whitby and moored at the municipal pier was the former east coast passenger and railway ferry PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND, This steamer, operated by the C.N.R, until a few years ago, was built in England in 1915 and was of somewhat unorthodox appearance in that she carried four funnels. The 285-foot vessel has now lost her array of stacks and her pilothouse, and is in very poor condition but is apparently being readied for some work in connection with the dredging. The Toronto Island ferries moved to their new dock at the foot of Yonge Street on January 25. The slips and loading ramps had been lying in readiness for several years but the terminal building was not completed until last month. The vehicle ramp for ONGIARA was moved over from the old dock but the other ferries will have all new facilities including provision for upper deck loading which may be used at some future date. The old terminal will be demolished in preparation for a new building which will contain the offices of the Toronto Harbour Commission.
Previous Return to Home Port or Toronto Marine Historical Society's Scanner Reproduced for the Web with the permission of the Toronto Marine Historical Society. |